Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brushy Mountian gave me divided bottom boards even though I ordered my frames with grooved (my invoice says grooved). I really don't feel like driving back there to get replacements. Plus I planned on putting the frames together today.

My plan is to start 2 packages, both with one deep with wax/plastic foundation then the rest with starter wax strips for foundationless. I feel that the divided bottom board is going to be a pain for putting the foundation into but it is only 20. Does anyone know how to put plastic into divided bottom boards? Do I nail it together at the bottom? I've been playing around and it looks like it is going to be a pain. The divided board cuts taper off at the ends so it is a little too small for the foundation. grrr!

Please help

Kate

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
which plastic are you using, I know some have a perf at the bottom corners, where they will break off. If you break it off you should be fine. otherwise you will either need to cut the foundation (corners) off so it will go in, or cut the BB cut a bit farther.

The good news is your not trying to use plain wax. (fragile)

Hope this helps

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using duragilt from brushy mt it has a metal edge along the side, I don't see why I couldn't snip it. The good news is that it is very flexible. At first, I actually thought they gave me the wrong foundation too. All of my other equipment is from Dadant, the plastic foundation from them is much more rigid. At least I can flex the Duragilt to fit a little better.

Do people normally nail the divided bb my little nails are a bit too long.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh and I realized that I ordered plastic foundation and they gave me duragilt instead. At first I thought that that was their version of plastic but apparently I am being punished by the gods.

Oh well, at least I can judge duragilt on my own since I've heard so many negative reviews about it:D

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
If you are good with small nails or have a brad nailer staple gun you can use half inch brads or staples through one side and the foundation tying both pieces together. If you bend the metal pieces on the Duragilt you will never get the crease out. Be careful! been there done, that!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cut the bottom corners off of the duragilt with snips and that helped it fit. As the final step I used a 3/4" nail and nailed the divided BB together then loosened the bars so they were the correct distance apart. That way the nail wasn't sticking out and the foundation won't slip through the crack. I'm just using this for brood so the bees can propolize til their heart's content.

Insights:

I've been thinking about making a bee condo of some kind and the divided BB might just be a solution I was looking for. I'm thinking that I can make a long deep type hive (maybe 12-14" deep). I can put a strip of wax at the top of the bar and another at the divided bottom (hanging down) that way I would have a top bar/frame hybrid, extra stability. I could have the hive be 25/30 frames long with reducers like in top bar hives. There is potential for an interesting experiment. Perhaps supering capabilities...

I will have search to see if anyone else has tried this:)

Thank you for your help!!!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Call BM and tell them to ship you what you paid for! Your not the only 1 having issues with there PP service.

Putting nails through the side of the bottom bar is not a good idea. When you start using a uncapping knife to remove the cappings it will catch on the nails. Staples in the bottom of the bar is a better idea. Do you have a grooved top bar or a wedge top bar?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I bought some frames that a retired beekeeper had bought but never put together. They had divided bottom bars. I did what you did and put a very short single nail through the two halves after I installed the foundation (duragilt and plastic).

You can remove the nail after they attach the foundation to the frame with wax although I didn't. Beeslave is correct that a knife will catch on the head of the nail, but my nails didn't go all the way though so I only catch on half and I don't find it to be too annoying.

The biggest complaint that I have is that they are harder to put together.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wedge top bar, too late for the nails, it is only on 20 frames, intended for brood only. The rest are just getting wax strips for the bees to draw out as natural comb.

I'm definitely going to give them a call on Monday and let them know. I picked the stuff up from their PA location and it is an hour drive from my house. I assumed, based on the other dealings I've had with them, that getting the correct supplies would take so long that the packages I'm getting in 2 weeks would be homeless. I was recovering from shoulder surgery and it pushed my frame assembly behind schedule, otherwise I would have discovered the problem sooner.

Perhaps I should remove the nail and use the wedge to support the foundation.

I should have just sucked it up and paid for shipping from Dadant. At least when you call them someone who actually keeps bees talks to you on the phone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts