Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chinese privet is 70% bloomed out which usually means the peak of the spring flow. The amount of nectar coming in daily is phenomenal this year. Anyone else looking forward to a good honey crop?

Reactions: squarepeg

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
In South Alabama, our privet blooms have mostly wilted now. Privet was excellent this year. Best I remember in a long time. Our Chinese tallow is our primary nectar source. I am seeing small catkins starting to emerge from the tallow which means the flow will be on soon. Lasts 10 to 14 days and then bee season is over for me. Goldenrod in the fall is hit or miss and normally misses. I don't harvest Goldenrod. Even in the good years.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Been an excellent start to the season up here in Western Kentucky- we've got blackberry, locust and clover all blooming profusely and the tulip poplars have just started up. Phenomenal flow thus far- best in several years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Coastal southern Virginia - the maples and tulip popular are done but the magnolias are starting to pop.....it looks to be a good year for honey and was an excellent spring for apiary expansion. Got my supers on!

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
There is very little that I can think of that will put a song in the heart of a beekeeper than to open a hive in the spring and see massive amounts of pure white, nectar driven wax.

This has been one of those springs. I have every frame of drawn comb that I possess on hives. I have nearly 40 supers with foundation in the process of being drawn.

Even a number of the swarms I’ve caught have drawn out their double deeps and are in the process of filling supers of honey.

This has been a grand spring….so far.

I hope for everyone else as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is very little that I can think of that will put a song in the heart of a beekeeper than to open a hive in the spring and see massive amounts of pure white, nectar driven wax.

This has been one of those springs. I have every frame of drawn comb that I possess on hives. I have nearly 40 supers with foundation in the process of being drawn.

Even a number of the swarms I’ve caught have drawn out their double deeps and are in the process of filling supers of honey.

This has been a grand spring….so far.

I hope for everyone else as well.
Where are you located? Seems like you have hit the "perfect storm"

I have plenty of drawn comb, but all my hives are brand new from packages. I lost my 4 colonies over the winter and had to start all over. I did install 3 packages in one hive, hoping to get some honey from them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Chinese privet is 70% bloomed out which usually means the peak of the spring flow. The amount of nectar coming in daily is phenomenal this year. Anyone else looking forward to a good honey crop?
I'm in North Alabama. Cullman county, Jones Chapel 💒. Clover in bloom, blackberries close to finishing, privet hedges are starting really well. Golden rod, ECT. All around. Others coming in as well. No sure of all the plant/weed names. Hone crops look very good as of now. Not sure how long it will last. As all the rain this spring has helped the wild weeds/honey production this spring/early summer. Drawn frames are a good thing to have, as flow is heavy, and I'm always behind on the drawn frame side of things. They will draw em out well during this flow, and I'll have a freezer at my farm for after harvest. Just for drawn frames, ECT. Upcoming back surgery will most likely kill my expansion, and ability to keep hives in check for 3-4 months. Good luck with your bees.a very good year so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts