Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP,

I put Apistan (manhao-pro) strips in my hive. 79 degrees two strips flat on brood area as in directions. Within an hour hundreds of dead struggling bees 1-25 feet from front of hive.

Is this normal? Many were drones but all were unable to fly they dying slowly.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,796 Posts
I have never used it but you might get more responses if you referenced the chemical by its most popular brand name, Apistan. It is supposed to be safe for the bees.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
never had a problem with them, haven't used them in 35 years, where did you buy them, plenty of chinese knockoffs out there. I would more expect that your bees are dying from mites as the strips are not effective.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
439 Posts
A quick look at the brand name of what you used reveals that it is advertised as 4 times more concentrated as the regular strips.
It is also an older chemical that the mites have developed resistance to.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I have use those strips and had very good luck with them.I never saw any bees dying from them.As far as the mites building resistance to apistan well my bees and mites had not seen apistan in over 20 years.Give them time and mites will lose resistance to it also.Just use it but dont leave strips in your hives for a long period of time as mites will become resistant again.Alternate with different treatments also.Fluvalinate,OAV,Flumethrin,Apivar.You have a lot of different things out there you can use.

·
Registered
65 colonies +/- mostly Langstroth mediums, a few deeps for nuc production
439 Posts
Snapper
Flumethrin, Fluvalinate, Apistan, and the strips the OP used all are the same active ingredient.
Right now rotation choices are pretty much between formic and oxalic acids, clones of apivar (amitraz) clones of thymol, and clones of apistan.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Flumethrin is not the same thing as fluvalinate.Flumethrin is imidacloprid.I used fluvalniate and Apistan together because a lot of people dont know the difference.Flumethrin is also called Bayvoral.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts