Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just found out - there is actually a recently patented line of the Far-Eastern Russian bees.
The line is called - "Far-Eastern" (Дальневосточная).
Here it is pictured - the actual certificate.

Here is quick blurb about it (google translate it) -

Font Parallel Paper Paper product Document

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Is the distributor Robert Russel?
yep
I coughed up the fees and I am now the mid west distributor/sub producer using Dr Russel breeders witch he says he will send to me this spring and he will be able to move all the queens I can produce at a premium price

for those who don'tknow the history.. dude showed up on BS, convinced fokes he was a PHD with a whole bunch of special strain's of bees https://russellapiaries.webs.com/breeds.htm took money and then didn't deliver

whats scary/funny is he almost got away with it... if he had just delivered bees, any kindb of bees, he could have made it work...
long story short his dad was the real deal.... but this guy wasn't a good bee keeper... seems like he was ordering queen cells form the miska's (you can get cells form just about any breeder queen you want form them) emerging the virgins' and shipping them (time difference between a 2 week banked virgin and a banked queen laying is only a few days ) most people who got queens from queens form him lliked them....
as I said, he very nearly pulled it off ... selling franchises to reagons to produce "his" line and all ..

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have been uncomfortably close to a few thriving companies in the construction sector that sank like lead balloons after being taken over by the next generation. They survived for a while trading on the reputation of the founder. One would be about 120 years old had it survived.
I'm sure many survive the transition, but it is definitely a yellow flag. :(

Alex

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
for those who don'tknow the history.. dude showed up on BS, convinced fokes he was a PHD with a whole bunch of special strain's of bees https://russellapiaries.webs.com/breeds.htm took money and then didn't deliver
So wait a minute.
The web site is up and operational.
They offer all kinds of bees.
Looks like people are still in business.
Have they not been caught yet?

On topic - without hard looking I doubt the "patented" Russians are available in the US.
They are not well known in Russia as it is.
Some folks are testing them - how I found out.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
So wait a minute.
The web site is up and operational.
They offer all kinds of bees.
While this page is still up (breeds), the home page [https://russellapiaries.webs.com/] says,

"Our bees and queens are no longer available to the public market. We are strictly providing commercial pollination services. We recommend that you contact Varner Bee Farm (PA and FL), Joseph Clemens (AZ), or Ted Kretschmann (AL), Dave Miksa (FL), Koehnen Apiaries (CA), Stratchen Apiaries (CA). Thanks and happy beekeeping! "

Don't know anything about this, was kinda cool to see a bunch of different "breeds" on the same page. My immediate thought was how large your operation would have to be to keep from having one "race" in a few years. Unless you were using I.I., keeping that many different bees separate would require more islands than I currently own. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
So I just found out - there is actually a recently patented line of the Far-Eastern Russian bees.
The line is called - "Far-Eastern" (Дальневосточная).
Here it is pictured - the actual certificate.

Here is quick blurb about it (google translate it) -

View attachment 66206
My question which sounds like allot of BS how are they able to put a genome patent to begin with? What's next? Patent on a Human 😂😂😂😂😂😂

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My question which sounds like allot of BS how are they able to put a genome patent to begin with? What's next? Patent on a Human 😂😂😂😂😂😂
One needs not to go to Russia for the answers. :)
In fact, they just learn this "bee copyright" business from the others.
Look closer to home, actually.

The "Saskatraz stock is Patented and Trademarked" just as well
Ask them how it all works.

·
Registered
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you know where there are actual pure Russian, Caucasian Bees anymore? I see allot of talk about the russians but I don't see where you can get them other than hybrids.
Why, go to the original sources and look there.
These are subjects discussed to the death by now.

Of course, I assume you know that while the Caucasians could be kinda-sorta pure (just due to the historic context), the Russian are very much recently formed hybrids as it is.
Look it up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The "Saskatraz stock is Patented and Trademarked" just as well
Ask them how it all works.
I would like to find out what is patented on the bee. I understand from the Canadian Patent site, under what you cannot patent, it included higher forms but you can patent lower life forms such as microscopic algae, yeast etc. They also differentiate the two by unicellular (lower life form) and multicellular ( higher life form).

They can Trademark the name and certify the stock but I am skeptical, even though they state it, that they can patent the Sasktraz bee itself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts