Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New beekeeper,

I manage income property, This happens to me 4 or 5 times a year. Is there any practical way in which I can remove these bees without exterminating them? It seems like such a loss.

Curt

This first image shows easy walk up access and the second image shows the hole. I can't understand why there are no bees at the moment of the shutter click but in the mid afternoon there are typically about 30 bees at any one moment entering or leaving through that little 1 inch hole

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Curt, thanks first of all for looking for another solution. Secondly, Is that just the hole we are looking at?

·
Banned
840 Posts
You can do a "cut out" which would require opening the wall itself and would allow you to remove bees, comb and all. also allowing you to clean it out really good and repair the wall and seal it up.

You can do a trap out which would remove bees, but not remove the wax comb and honey in there, possibly causing internal damage at some point in time and attracting bees back in the future.

Big Bear

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi Curt, I'm a fellow SoCal beekeeper.

If you check out my blog you'll see a demo of a cutout I did last summer on a garage wall. The one you've got would be very similar, and probably just as easy (although it would involve taking out the stucco and then repairing the wall, which isn't hard).

If you want any guidance on this, pm me and I'll give you my phone number.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
That looks like a really easy trapout to me.:) I did one like that this summer and turned a three frame single into a boiling double.:) the bees robbed out about sixty pounds of honey out of the wall before I sealed it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, one thing for sure. There won't be any cutting out of my customers property. PHEW!!! LOL

HOWEVER, I have been reading about trap outs and swarm capture. It sounds like a swarm or two might be taken this season and then closing out the season with a trap out might be the thing to do. I do, eventually, have to get rid of the bees.

Curt

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Don't know if the house is on a slab or if there are studs in the walls. But if the house is on a slab and there are studs on the inside walls, then I would do a cutout in the wall starting at the floor opposite from where the bees are entering. I would also vacuum as many bees as possible before opening up the wall.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
problem is, if you get rid of the bees but not the comb ,honey, and any thing else alive or otherwise whats left in the wall will rot, stink and attract rats. :(

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. That's what I meant in my reply above.

Do cutout from inside of house. Vacuum as many bees as possible from the outside entrance first.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Can you wait a month or so? My sister lives on Chevy Chase, by the first sharp turn north of Glendale. There is a good chance my son and I will be out there before March. Let me know if you want me to look at the situation and...??

Roland

1 - 13 of 13 Posts