Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
How many frames do you have? And can you leave them on the hive for a few more weeks?

I had the same trouble a few weeks ago… I had 2 supers of partially filled frames. I just left them on the hive, and they have been steadily eating (or moving down) the open honey, and also capped 3 of the frames (which I'll harvest this weekend). If there's any left in a few weeks, I'll take them off by mid-Sept, and either freeze the frames for the spring, or let them rob it out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Several frames started, and yes I'll leave them on until it frost. I'm not sure what to do with the ones that dont get capped off. A good friend of mine suggested to freeze them and put them back on next spring and let them finish filling them. Is this a common practice?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yes, I think it is a common practice. That's what a longtime beekeeping friend told me she does whenever this happens. That way they'll get a little bit of a start with the spring flow :) I've heard/read that bees won't cap a cell unless it's completely full, even if the honey is ripened, so my guess is they won't finish it this season, unless you have a spectacular fall flow with aster and goldenrod. The goldenrod is just starting to appear over here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts