Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year bears became much more prevalent near some of my bee yards so I started installing solar charged fencing for protection. This past summer things worked like I charm and the fence was pegged at 9900V every time I visited. No issues. Last week however I went out for an inspection and noticed the charger wasn't functioning. I brought the battery back to the shop and put a voltmeter on it and it was dead as can be. I charged it up again to 14.0 V. but it appears that the battery isn't holding a charge like it should. This was installed in July 2018. I am needing to purchase (3) more setups and now I'm having second thoughts about buying (3) more Parmak units if the batteries have issues? Initially I read several of the threads on here giving the Parmak Magnum rave reviews. However a few reviews on Amazon indicated that the batteries died prematurely like mine did. I'm looking for some feedback from other Parmak Magnum 12 owners about their thoughts. I don't want to be buying new batteries every 6 months for a unit that should go 2-3 years on the original battery. I know my unit is warrantied for 3 years but that's not the point, as I now have to send the battery back and wait for a replacement. Feedback please.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The battery that came with mine didn't last real long either I took the small original battery out and ran the wires out the bottom of the charger caulked the hole to keep mice out and hooked it up to a car battery problem solved ,I keep a spare all charged up and ready to go when the other one gets low and then charge it back up , the problem is the position and lack of sun in the winter the solar panel just doesn't get enough sun to keep it going .But the unit packs a good jolt and I'm very happy with it . I cover the car battery with a old ice chest with out a lid and keep the battery on a board and put the cooler over the battery upside down .

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
A deep cycle battery is also a good buy. It is designed to withstand many deep discharges.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
My son uses quite a few of the Parmak Magnum fencers but uses larger batteries and other sourced solar panels. If you have stretches of cloudy weather and your fence is fighting a fair bit of weeds, the original solar setup allows the batteries to drag down and sulphate. Those little batteries do not survive that many times before they give up the ghost.

The fencers themselves are trouble free.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
The battery that came with mine didn't last real long either I took the small original battery out and ran the wires out the bottom of the charger caulked the hole to keep mice out and hooked it up to a car battery problem solved ,I keep a spare all charged up and ready to go when the other one gets low and then charge it back up , the problem is the position and lack of sun in the winter the solar panel just doesn't get enough sun to keep it going .But the unit packs a good jolt and I'm very happy with it . I cover the car battery with a old ice chest with out a lid and keep the battery on a board and put the cooler over the battery upside down .
That's a good idea. Just may give it a try the next time mine dies. J

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have several of them (both the Solar 6's and the Magnum 12's and had little in the way of problems. For the Magnum 12's I use deep cycle batteries and hide the whole works in a "fake" deep with bottom board and lid so they are less likely to go missing.

IMG_20180706_104948744.jpg

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have several of them (both the Solar 6's and the Magnum 12's and had little in the way of problems. For the Magnum 12's I use deep cycle batteries and hide the whole works in a "fake" deep with bottom board and lid so they are less likely to go missing.

View attachment 45013
I have the solar 6 it works very well. My brother has about 15 of the solar 6`s for his out yards. The state of Wisconsin gives them to commercial beeks tp prevent bear damage. He has had some for 3 years with no problems. ( original batteries). We are in prime black bear country and they keep the bears out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
We just bought more Parmak 6's on Black Friday. I did replace one battery in a used one we purchased. I like the solar fencers but you can buy Parmak 12 volt fence chargers and use full size deep cycle batteries, and add your own solar chargers. The Parmak units are good chargers and can be repaired if something does fail. I just like the one piece design.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so when you guys are hooking up another auto sized deep cell battery are you hooking them up to the battery that came with the unit also or just using the car size battery by itself? Anyone have any wiring instructions on how their hooking it all up? Thanks

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Just take the wires off the battery that it came with and take the old battery out , you might want to take a look at which one is on the positive terminal so you hook it back up the same way on your new car battery , I can't remember if they are color coded but red is positive and black is negative . Fish the two battery wires out the bottom of the unit and caulk the hole and hook them to your car battery , its been a couple years since i did this and the wires might not be long enough to reach the ground where you have your battery located if this is the case you will have to add the length of wire you need to each one to make it long enough if you have to do this i would make the connections so they end up inside the parmack unit that way weather won't corrode your connections , it might sound complicated buts its a 30 min. job at most , if you don't want to make solder connections you could use wire nuts to make your connection but make sure they stay inside the unit and tape them with electrical tape .I put medium size alligator clips on the battery end to make changing batteries quick easy .

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
The Parmak units are good chargers and can be repaired if something does fail.

Correct. I own a Parmak Super Energizer 5. It stopped working earlier this fall. It was out of the warranty period, so I decide to take it apart. Nothing obvious, but when I turned out the lights and plugged it in I saw that the coil was internally arcing. I called the company and ordered a new coil for $24+ shipping. The charger works like new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own at least 20 of these. I like them a lot. I use them mostly for summer. But I have noticed that when the sun is low in the sky and you have some cloudy days... they can not make enough juice to keep the batteries charged. This is when I can have some bear issues, particularly in late fall. I live in Northern Central PA.
That being said the chargers start to work well again the next spring. So the batteries appear to be fine... I believe the solar charger just can't keep up. A battery typically lasts about 2 years or so for me.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I went back and read the article by Randy Oliver about how he uses and sets up his Parmak 6 charges for bear in a lot of his yards. He only uses 2 strands of wire!. According to him no problem with bears if they are set up and maintained properly. I'm guessing he's pushing out no more than 5,000-6,000 volts with that unit? My Parmak 12 was at 9900v all last year. Maybe the Parmak 6 would work ok for me also?

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/scibeeimages/Bear-Fence-PDF.pdf

·
Registered
72 Posts
I went back and read the article by Randy Oliver about how he uses and sets up his Parmak 6 charges for bear in a lot of his yards. He only uses 2 strands of wire!. According to him no problem with bears if they are set up and maintained properly. I'm guessing he's pushing out no more than 5,000-6,000 volts with that unit? My Parmak 12 was at 9900v all last year. Maybe the Parmak 6 would work ok for me also?

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/scibeeimages/Bear-Fence-PDF.pdf
My brother had at least a dozen outyards all using a parmak 6. We have lots of bear. He hasn`t had any problems in the last few years since using them.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info Alf...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Living on a dairy farm I can tell you that the key to an electric fence working good is having it grounded really well. The drier it is the more ground rods you need. Keep the weeds and grass off of it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts