Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in one of the posts that one beek was using parafin to wax coat his permacomb frames to reduce cell size. Everyone else was using bee wax. Any thoughts on the appropriateness of parafin as opposed to bee wax?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Paraffin:
Pro - cheap, AFB-free, works
Con - cappings-contamination?

Beeswax:
Pro - bees like it, smells great, good karma
Con - costly, AFB-concern

What am I missing?

[ November 16, 2006, 07:31 AM: Message edited by: Patrick Scannell ]

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
What do FGMO and paraffin They are simply different viscosities of the same basic thing.

But the difference is that the COMBS are made out of paraffin if you coat them with that. The hive doesn't worry me much. But bees like to live in beeswax. They never seem that fond of anything else.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Some folks dip wooden frame ears in paraffin to discourage bees from propolizing them. Bees seem to dislike paraffin, and so it seems they would dislike permacomb dipped in it.

However, in my experience, they use it, and raise brood in it without a problem.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Local supermarket sells it, though if you plan to dip woodenware, I'm guessing you'll need a little more than a couple boxes of Gulf canning wax. Not sure where you can buy it in bulk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
You can buy large blocks of pure parafin at craft stores (AC Moore, Michaels, . . .) in the candle making sections.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts