Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long do you think someone should leave a hive queenless when you are going to do a newspaper combine? I am going to move the queen I do believe is failing (turning into a drone layer) into a nuc. I want to make sure she really is failing without jeopardizing a fairly strong hive. And then I want to combine with a strong nuc I have recently moved into a 10 frame deep. In the process i'm going to cull some of the really old comb in the hive i'm combining with nuc. So, how long should I wait to combine after moving the would be failing queen into a nuc? Thanks, Jay

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>How long do you think someone should leave a hive queenless when you are going to do a newspaper combine?

I would do the combine immediately after removing the queen. They have some time to get aquainted...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I guess you could give them a little time, but really don't think it's necessary. The whole point behind a newspaper combine is that by the time they eat through the paper the pheromones have mingled and life is good.

There's plenty of theories, but I always use a single sheet of dry newspaper, and slice a few small slits in it. Also, make sure that both the bees on the top and the bottom have a way in and out the hive until the combine is complete...If temperatures are warm, you can cook some bees before they complete the combine if not.

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot! Now, better to put the queen right deep on bottom or top? I was planning on putting it on the bottom out of it being easier. I would not have to empty the supers of bees that way. Is on way better than the other, reorienting and all?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Your best bet is queen right on bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts