Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but I am trying to find out what others do prior to making some decisions and investments.
All of your ideas/opinions are greatly appreciated!
Here we go!
When using pallet clips what do you use to fasten the hive boxes (tiedowns) to the pallet for moving with the forklift? ......and do you leave this fastener on for the season or remove once the hives are in place?

I thought the hive boxes would fit tighter in the clips than they do? (I have U and W clips both)

Has anyone tried putting a wedge between the hive boxes to tighten them to the clips?

This will be my first time using clip pallets this season, so I am greener than green with there use! :) :s :s

Thanks! Mtn. Bee

·
Registered
511 Posts
No, hives just sit on pallets and clips keep them from sliding off the pallet; fastening them to pallet is not necessary.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have read recently on this forum where Beeks had boxes of bees fall off of pallets while traveling over rough terrain with forked loaders.
I see that Mann Lk. sells hive straps that buckle/snap over the tops of the hives and pallets both

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Some still band the hives to the pallet.That would be for a long haul. I saw some that were tied on with ropes last year in the almonds. I think most don't worry about a little slippage here and there.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Gravity mostly. I do have friends who send their bees to MN for blueberry pollination. They plastic strap their hives and supers to the pallet, because someone else will be unloading them in MN and taking them out to the barrens and the guys that do that move fast and don't always strap the hives down to the truck when they move into the blueberries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts