Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting conflicting advice on painting my hive boxes. This source says to paint both inside and outside of boxes and two bee equipment suppliers say not to paint the inside of the boxes (Dadant and Walter Kelly). I painted mine based upon the first advice. How much does it matter?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
None! Especially with latex paint. If you used oil based paint let it dry for a couple weeks before using them. The bees don't eat paint and they still propolize and build comb on it just like bare wood.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
You're fine with painting them but you don't need to.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
I believe it was pointed out a couple of years ago that the plan mentioned painting the insides of the boxes. It would be nice if they would be changed...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I'm glad that I haven't ruined the new boxes I just made by painting the insides. I'm also glad that the next ones I make don't need to be painted on the inside. So, that's good news! :)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Even if there was something to be gained by painting the inside of the supers, the bees will seal it all with propolis anyway, so one has simply wasted money and time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I heard somewhere that it is best not to paint because the bare wood helps soak up moisture which is very beneficial in the winter. I do not know if this is correct or not but thought I would put it out there if anyone else wants to comment on it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Tom Fran alot of it has to do with the moisture building up on the walls. With bare wood the moisture can absorb into the wood alot better, with it being painted the moisture would bead up and run down along the walls of the hive! I done the same thing and read the build plans and instructions and it stated to paint inside and out. Either way is fine but what i done with the first few i paints inside and out is attached a brass wire brush drill bit attachment on the drill and roughed the insides up by taking some of the paint off to allow for any moisture build up! I now use Tung oil High Gloss and they come out looking like natural pine! :D Good Luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts