Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be in the wrong section but here goes. Time this winter got away from me and I have not gotten my new deep supers painted. Packages arrive on Friday, at this time, I only have 1 deep per package with the second tier of deeps just shipped today. My options at this point are to paint on Thursday, due to working 12 hrs every day before that or go ahead and put them in the unpainted Deeps on Friday, assemble the new deeps and paint them, then transfer the Frames to the painted ones so I could then paint the first set.

Currently I am leaning towards the latter as I am not sure it is good to put the bees into a hive that was just painted less that 24 hrs before...

Or should I paint away Thursday?

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,523 Posts
Put them in the unpainted boxes. You do not want any odd smells to cause the packages to abscond. There will always be time later to paint and rotate boxes once the bees are established, but au natural works too, for awhile at least.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,207 Posts
This may be in the wrong section but here goes. Time this winter got away from me and I have not gotten my new deep supers painted. Packages arrive on Friday, at this time, I only have 1 deep per package with the second tier of deeps just shipped today. My options at this point are to paint on Thursday, due to working 12 hrs every day before that or go ahead and put them in the unpainted Deeps on Friday, assemble the new deeps and paint them, then transfer the Frames to the painted ones so I could then paint the first set.

Currently I am leaning towards the latter as I am not sure it is good to put the bees into a hive that was just painted less that 24 hrs before...

Or should I paint away Thursday?
Hive the packages in what ever you have. When the new deep order comes in paint them let it dry then on inspection day swap to the painted one, then paint the original.
GG

1 - 3 of 3 Posts