Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
You really have to experiment play with it. I found that I needed to wait a bit before spray painting over. The boxes were just too hot. If painted too hot the tendancy is for the paint to peel off. I was parrafin dipping at 325 F. Really it's an art and I can't say that I've really mastered it. I only tried this technique one year on about 1000 nucs and lids. That was about 6 years ago I think and other than the ones that were painted too hot the rest of them have had the paint hold up quite well. This is a 2 man job. One guy dipping , one guy painting. I used latex paintand even if it felt dry to the touch it still took a long time to cure.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
194 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something, but if you've hot-dipped, why paint? Isn't that one of the points of hot-dipping?

Grid.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The paraffin dipped hive bodies and or brood chambers are too hot on summer days and it makes the bees hang out. Or worse yet, the combs can melt down.
Ernie

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone determined why the dipped hive bodies are hotter? I'm considering dipping and am looking at a bees wax/linseed oil mix or any other combo that makes sense. The phenomena of heat generation has caused me to take pause. Any thoughts that would help me not make a gross error in judgement on dipping? Thanks
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts