Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You really have to experiment play with it. I found that I needed to wait a bit before spray painting over. The boxes were just too hot. If painted too hot the tendancy is for the paint to peel off. I was parrafin dipping at 325 F. Really it's an art and I can't say that I've really mastered it. I only tried this technique one year on about 1000 nucs and lids. That was about 6 years ago I think and other than the ones that were painted too hot the rest of them have had the paint hold up quite well. This is a 2 man job. One guy dipping , one guy painting. I used latex paintand even if it felt dry to the touch it still took a long time to cure.

Jean-Marc

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone determined why the dipped hive bodies are hotter? I'm considering dipping and am looking at a bees wax/linseed oil mix or any other combo that makes sense. The phenomena of heat generation has caused me to take pause. Any thoughts that would help me not make a gross error in judgement on dipping? Thanks
Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.