Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to aquire some used equipment, would 2-3 coats of a good paint seal in possible diseases?
Or how about just leaving it out in the weather (hot and cold)? Or spraying with something, etc etc. I would want complete sterility.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I've always just burned them out- carefully. At first I used a propane torch but recently I've done the chimney fire technique.. stack the boxes up in the driveway, prop one side up on a stick for draft, start a fire (kerosene, newspaper, etc.,) and be prepared to put it out FAST. You can get a lot of char going in a real hurry... it's a good idea to practice on some boxes you were planning to burn anyways

I know there are other sterilization techniques people use, but I'm not familiar with them. Painting the insides of the hives isn't generally recommended.

George-

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Unless there is some kind of "chamber" or radiation treatment available, the only home grown methods I know of that are useful against things like AFB are scorching and boiling in lye.

I woulnd't paint them. I don't even know if the paint will stick to the propolis that will coat everything.

The old scorching method was to put some newspaper in the middle of a stack of boxes with a bit of fuel on it and light it and put a lid on to extinguish it when you think it's charred it all a bit.

New everyone seems to prefer a torch.

I've never done either but the stack seems to make sense.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help here. I don't have a torch but I think charring would basically do the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts