Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 5 gallons of alkaloid semitransparent stain to use as a primer (OOPs shelf for $35). It hits the hemlock and it sinks right in. you can almost pour it into the end grain. I plan to use an acrylic deck paint as a top coat ($50/ gallon for $8). I verified it with the paint owner and he thought it would work great. I put in on some Adirondack chairs but now I am getting cold feet. It turned out beautiful; if I had erased all my pencil marks I would probably just hit it with another coat and deliver. The plan was to try it on some hives and if it did not work out big deal but I had another project on the bench.
I know there are some painters on these forums and don’t know if it was this one or the other so I am going to post it in both spots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oil (alkaloid) primer and latex (acrylic) top coat is a great combination.

However, a oil based semitransparent stain is not the same as a primer.

Primers are designed to bond to the wood and for the top coat to bond to the primer.

Whereas stains are designed to color the wood. You then apply a sanding sealer or shellac, and then a top coat of varnish.

Now, if this is one of those deck sealer products that is stain and wood protector all in one product. Then no top coats are needed. I would just give them a few coats of the stain and be done with it. They dry with a water resistant finish and would make it hard for the acrylic to adhere.

The worst that could happen is the acrylic would not bond and you will have pealing paint.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These chairs have a lot of layout lines and radius on them. I did not erase the pencil marks or wipe off the pink chalk marks from the plaining steps. The parts still have the labels on them as which part was cut out and which of the chairs that there is. Bottom line they are beautiful but looks like a kid went crazy with the wood.
How soon before the paint would peel?

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I'd be careful I LOVE oil based anything for durability. If I HAVE to use latex topcoats, oil goes underneath. That said and as mentioned, the product you're using isn't meant to have a coat on the surface of it. Primer is designed to be topped over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts