Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always thought there should be no painted wood inside the hive. Recently I saw some pics of painted bottom boards, can't remember where though. Who paints theirs and is there any problem doing it. Seems like it would be easier to clean and last longer too.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I've always painted mine. Makes it easier to clean in spring since i use solid bottoms. If there is condensation that drips from inside the hive it runs out instead of seeping into the wood. I paint all exposed areas but the bottom of the plywood on the outside.

·
Registered
638 Posts
only have two and they are both screened. The 4 nucs I have (that I havent used yet) are painted the same. I paint what is exposed to the outside. So all the underportion, sides, back, and the front entrance JUST into the hive. Unpainted is the inside portion that the box sits on and contains.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I don't paint anything inside the hive, including the topside of the bottom board (I only paint the 2" of bottom board outside the hive), don't know if there is anything unhealthy about paint on the inside, but I just don't do it. It doesn't take long for the bees to seal the unpainted wood surface, using propolis and wax. Water won't absorb into it after about a year anyways.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
I paint my plywood bottom boards. Yes, the bees will eventually propolise them, but in the mean time you can get enough water on there to de-laminate the plywood. Solid wood bottom boards this is less of an issue, but water soaking plywood will cause it to come apart.

It won't bother the bees any. The main reason for not painting the insides of the boxes is that the bees will take care of it for you, and it's a waste of paint and time. Won't make a bit of difference to the bees unless the paint is toxic, and latex with titanium dioxide isn't.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts