Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given an old two frame, hand crank extractor and the basket is rusted and peeling off paint. So I went to a metal shop and they quoted $200 to make the new basket in stainless steel. The bulk was labor cost but I can buy a new on for $236. So, I decidied I will sand blast it but was wondering if anybody has an idea for a food grade paint and where I might could find some? I really doubt Lowes or HD would have some and i will check but thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Brushy mtn, dadant, and kelly all carry food grade epoxy quart is about 12 bucks if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
706 Posts
i would use stainless food grade and call it good. then you know it will out last you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
^ called cam cote it works OK it is not a true epoxy (1 part)

try to keep the stuff away from the "gears" because it will just flake off and end up in the barrel w/ your honey.

if you are setup to sand blast go for it but you could also try "phosphoric acid" and / wire brush, wash down and then coat...

I think it will last about 3-5 years... before it starts to somewhat deteriorate, but it is the only option that I know of...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts