Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start dipping hive bodies as soon as I resolve my "handle cutting issues". The original handle cut still looks good to me and I don't like cleats. As I only use shallows for honey supers and I don't have to lift alot of full deeps they work for me. My question is if I opt not to paint , how long will the new wood boxes look bright ? The area that I live in (western Oregon) does not often get high temps so I would guess that a light color might not be as important but only guessing.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I dipped mine a few years ago... three maybe? I'd have to look it up... but most still look new. A few that have some odd grain have turned gray where the grain is more exposed (angled so that it's open grain), but otherwise they are aging nicely. Mine are beeswax and rosin, which probably doesn't age as well as the paraffin and rosin.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I just use Copper Napthate I think I spelled that Right? and nothing else Hives look good and I get way more rain then you. I have One hive my kids painted one deep white one deep yellow both look uck after two years. my CN brushed on and not the green the brown Cn they look like cedar.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I feel you will have difficulty keeping or getting a paint to adhere after dipping. Never tried painting afterward, just offering a thought.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand that the hives must still be very hot and cooling when painting, this causes the paint to be drawn into the wood with the wax as the whole thing cools. I have a few hives that were dipped in copper napthenate about 5 years ago and they have been in use continously since. They are as grey as can be and cracked and checked and warped as would be any untreated board in the same weather conditions. They do not however show any signs of rotting. I quit dipping in CN as the smell was not something that I wanted to put my food into.I believe that the directions were to thin with mineral spirits. My hope with wax dipping was to eliminate the warping and checking issues that occur with painting or copper napthenate treating. The boxes are rabbit jointed douglas fir, fastend with 2 inch galvanized drywall screws and titebond III glue. I have not had very good luck with staples and now only use them to hold things together until the screws are in. well, how long will these boxes last?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts