Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just heard it from another commercial that 2 pallets of Australian bees were cooked in transit !! the second year in a row !! New Zealand tube packages arrived for us here on the 1st and we just finished hiving them at noon today. Also was told that NZ ran out of bees , I guess that package industry is hurting, I hope everything works out okay for those companies, it can't be a good thing to run out or have your product destroyed by an airline, or whomever is responsible :(

I hope you all get your packages that you ordered because this is quite an impact on the overseas market

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They were good looking bees , just had some issues with 2 dead queens in the tubes and 2 smashed cages in the tubes, I will check those soon to see if the queen is in the 2 that had smashed cages, I have 3 extra still to use from the company.
Overall it went well.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it went well, I like the tube design way more than a box of bees. I think that there should be a little more quality put into the queen cages though, some smashed in the tubes. If they were plastic I believe it would help a bit more, but I imagine it slows down the production line since they are stapled to the mesh.
Hopefully this is the last time I have to buy package bees ! I am incorporating Michael Palmers sustainable apiary strategy in our farm :) I hope it goes well and catches on with other beekeepers around here, because the package industry may not always be there and then where are we going to get bees for replacements ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts