Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up 2 packages from Dadant today and got done installing them. Nice day for it.

In hindsite I didn't think to ask what "kind" of bees they were. I only spent a brief second or 2 looking at the queen in her very small box. Very black, not at all like the Italian colored ones I've had in the past.

I was somewhat surprised to hear they had been shipped all the way from CA! I had assumed they would have used a more local source for their packages... I dont know why i assumed that but I was almost shocked to hear they were going to send CA bees to the midwest.

Anyone else out there pick some up today? Did you get any more info than the above? Id like to here it.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You should call and ask. There are a lot of Carniolans coming out of CA and I suspect that is what she is.

There is no local source for packages in the north, at least this time of year, they all get shipped in from CA, Georga and other states. It's just way to early to raise queens for them, particularly this year.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is Kelly the same way? Several years ago I bought 2 pacakges from them and got the distinct impression they sourced them from the "area" although I dont think i was specifically told that. At that time they asked what i wanted (in terms of a queen),

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Almost anyone that is offering "Packages" this time of year are sourcing them from either CA or GA or even FL. For most of the rest of the USA it's just too cold or cool to build up the bees in the hives to an acceptable level to shake a package this time of year. That's why the business is such a booming business for those that are doing it.

Another way to tell is ask them for the certificate of health. It must state the exact location that the bees were purchased.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Is Kelly the same way? Several years ago I bought 2 pacakges from them and got the distinct impression they sourced them from the "area" although I dont think i was specifically told that. At that time they asked what i wanted (in terms of a queen),
Yes Kelley's source bees from the south, by no means could kentucky have packages ready in early april. My first graft of queens just hatched.

Their nucs came from Jester bees in Florida. Their packages from from either Mississippi or georgia. They recently sold or changes their souther yard so not sure exactly. Give em a call they will tell you. The facility in Clarkson, Ky manufacturers wax foundation, all woodenware, some metal items and most of the clothing. The facility is also a warehouse and order fullfillment center. They are great people, excellent costumer service.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts