Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's coming down to the wire for a newbie. My bee's are coming in about 12 days or so. I'll probably have lot's more questions but here's a basic one for y'all. I have read that the inner cover goes up and I've read that it goes down. :doh: Which is right? Seems that the beespace will be maintained with the rim up but if I put it down, there will be a lot more space?????? I know it's very basic but please help. I'm starting to panic here wanting to get everything just right.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Sounds like it should have the rim up for your particular inner cover. There are so many different designs for inner covers, but it definitely sounds like your rims should be up, or facing the top cover.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I've always wondered myself. I was told here, I believe, that the inner top cover is "attic space" to control heat? So, that's what I've done... I put the cover on so that it provides a space between the outer and inner cover. Sure, I get a few bees in there, but not too many. I could be wrong though. Have fun and good luck with them new bees!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
jajtiii says what I understand it to be.
Rim up for summer and down for winter - of course it may make no difference at all except the bees will most likely bur comb it when the rim is down ("nibling honey" while you work).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts