Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 packages of bees being shipped via USPO. I live out in the country....... How should one deal with this? Should I notify the Post master and pick the Bee's up myself at the PO ?

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have 2 packages of bees being shipped via USPO. I live out in the country....... How should one deal with this? Should I notify the Post master and pick the Bee's up myself at the PO ?
The Post master will call you when they arrive, they don't like having them setting around.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've shipped a number of critters from bugs to worms. The folks at the post office are more than glad to give me a call when they arrive so i can come get them and the rural route driver doesn't have to have them in the vehicle as they make their rounds. I just let them know some critters are coming and give them my phone number. They're pretty cool about it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
The shipping tag usually has your phone number on it with instructions to call upon arrival. but as previously states it is wise to give your post office a heads up. I think rural route drivers are not required to deliver bees to the addressee. The postal workers union has the postal service convinced it could create an exceptional risk.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have never recieved bees through the mail, but have done it many times with baby chickens. My local post office is very good at calling me early in the morning, around 6 am. I pick them up at the back door after ringing the bell. Good advice about letting them know before hand. My experience is the postal workers have been very helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
I usually call a day or two ahead of when I'm expecting their arrival and let them know all my contact information. I do the same for chicks. They're usually real good about calling and notifying you. That's always been my experience.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would let them know they are coming. How well they handle it depends on the post office. Some are very professional. Some are scared and handle it poorly. I've come to get my bees and found them suffocating in a canvas bag in the sun outside with the package on its side and the postal people saying the bees were getting out. They were not getting out. There were just two bees on the outside of the cage that smelled the nasonov and were hanging around. Most of the bees were dead. On the other hand I've had them call me at 8:00 pm and tell me I can come get them if I want, which I did, and they were in great shape. Either way I think it helps if they know they are coming and they know how to call you.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
The Post master will call you when they arrive,
Don't bet on it I have had them call but then again they wont as some have said some POs are good and some not, call ahead they do bee scard of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts