Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have some used equipment that I scorched out of precaution. I’m getting some packages soon. I was thinking of spraying swarm commander in the woodenware prior to installing the package to make the bees think it’s a good home. I don’t have any drawn comb. I have commercial keepers about a mile away. Will this cause robbing? I had bad problems last fall with robbing. I just thought the swarm commander would keep them from absconding. What do you guys think? Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would be really careful about using swarm Commander inside a hive. I have never actually used swim Commander, but I do use lemon grass oil. It’s easy to get too much LGO and then the bees move outside the box and start building comb on the bottom of the swarm trap. I believe that the smell interferes with the pheromone communication going on in a colony. I have also seen a swarm take flight after I put a box with LGO next to it. The point is, swarm commander is for attracting scout bees, not for making a box more attractive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Many beekeepers scorch boxes to kill infectious agents. Some swarm trappers scorch their traps to mimic the smell of a lightning struck tree. You bees should have no problem with the scorched smell.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Interesting thought. I have never seen it discussed. My knee jerk reaction is no, but it would be a good experiment. More conventional methods would be prudent, but what about one drop on a qtip inside a zip lock bag with just one pinhole? J

·
Registered
181 Posts
My feeling is that swarm commander and LGO is to attract bees to a space. If you have a queen, the bees will already be attracted to her. They’ll use real nasonov to signal any lost bees back to the hive. I just don’t see how putting artificial nasonov inside a hive helps after the bees have arrived. I have definitely seen how it can repel bees. Here’s a photo of a swarm that moved into my trap within 24 after it was baited and set. My theory is that it attracted scouts just fine. The colony moved in, but the LGO hadn’t had time time to dissipate, and it stank the bees right out.

Here’s another, where I tried to coach a swarm on the ground into a box in which I had placed a frame with one fresh drop of LGO. The bees started heading right in, but within a minute they all took flight. I had to wait a few minutes for them to settle again. Then I replaced the box - this time without the LGO frame - and they walked right in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts