Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered some packages and queens to be delivered in early April. However, I have some questions because of the weather and am curious if my thinking is correct. Last week the south and east coast had a major cold snap and freeze. I don't know where my packages are being made, but how does this effect package production. I know it takes 40 days to have a sexually mature drone, and 50 degree nights to start major egg laying by the queen. Will these recent events affect package production. As I have watched the weather, Florida and California( Hawaii also) have areas of warm nights, but are there adequate drones to get well mated queens. Will hives make queens even if there are no drones available to mate? Other things I haven't thought of?

·
Registered
31 Posts
The southern and eastern breeders will likely be set back some . California's breeders should not have a problem with mature drones early on. We personally have had drones all winter. Which outfit are you getting your Packages from. Most breeder outfits are only in one of the regions with the exception of some of the Hawaii/ California breeders. California has had very little rain earlier on and has recently gotten a bit of rain, although not much. California's weather will most likely effect late season more than early season unless it rains during the mating window.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
You would think package producers feed lots of syrup and pollen sub starting early in their season to get the colonies to rear lots of brood, even in less than optimal weather conditions. The biggest setback the way I see it is in queen production and getting queens that are well mated early enough to put in the packages.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts