Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am planning on getting a package of bees this coming saturday and was wondering if it'd be possible to split them into 2 hives that I already have. Is that a good idea? Would that cause any problems? And is there a special or a better way to do it?
Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Are these established hives, and if not do you have a second queen?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my hives is weak the other one is a little bit better. New packaged bees are coming with a queen.

·
Registered
453 Posts
So you are wanting to divide the package in half and put the bees into two established hives.

The best way to do that is with a paper combine. You should be able to search the forum for FAQ on how to do them.

You will be left with a queen though.

You might consider doing a paper combine on the two established hives and simply hive the package in a new hive. But of course, even this way you'll have an extra queen.

You really want to think of the population in terms of up coming brood when trying to boost the strength of a colony. So in either case, all you are doing is boosting the current number of bees instead of fixing the real potential issue. Check to make sure that your queens are producing enough.

·
Registered
760 Posts
id put that package in a hive and build it up and then in a few months spilt it or give the weak hive frames of brood

ive found that feeding the 3 legged horse is a waste of feed -

remember its better to have one hive of 40,000 then 2 hives at 20,000 each

·
Registered
760 Posts
also the bees in the package only have about 4weeks of life left in them -

so your better off to use the whole work force on a single project until you have more bees to work with (younger bees that is)

ives split hives before but that was just into mating nucs to hold queens

best of luck to ya

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
If both hives have brood and some bees, I would brush all the bees off the brood in the stronger hive, put the brood frames in the weaker hive with the good queen (kill the loser queen), and give the hive you just took the brood out of the package by the newspaper method.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts