Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed two packages of bees last Thursday and placed the packages inside the hives. The following day I went to remove the empty boxes and hive one was fine but the second hive the packaged box was still full of bees. I shook them out and closed the hive. The queens where marked in both packages. Today I wanted to check to be sure the queens where released. Hive one was fine, queen was released and saw her in the hive. Hive two queen was not released, was alive, but there was not much activity around her. Sugar cube barley touched. Im thinking I may have picked up a package with two queens, possibly a virgin queen. I tried looking for the second queen, but of course she would be unmarked and I was not able to identify one. Looking for some advice here if there is anything I should be doing or just wait it out for another week and hopefully will see some eggs. Thanks

John

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Are these your only hives?

If you have a frame of capped brood, frame of honey, maybe also empty comb, move them and some nurse bees to another small nucs with the queen that is being ignored. See if things change in 24 hrs. You may have just scored three colonies.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Poke a hole with a toothpick through the sugar put her back in. Come back in a day or 2 if she is still not released then manually release her after checking again for the possible second queen or eggs in the comb. Worse case they dispatch one of the queens.

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
If they are that disinterested in the caged queen, it's more likely than not, that there is another queen. She may or may not be any good.

You could probably do a split now without even finding the rogue queen, by moving the whole hive a few yards away and putting an empty hive in it's place, with just one frame of bees in it, very carefully inspected to ensure no queen. put the caged queen in that one, other bees will drift back into it, and see what happens to the moved one.

If the moved one does turn out to be queenless, re unite it by shaking them out in front of the other one, once there is capped brood in that one.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
From my experience if there is a second queen, the caged queen is killed. Just put the queen in and STAY OUT. So many package are screw up by get back into them and messing with them. Really I do 800+ packages every year. It's 3 weeks before I get started getting in them. 99.5% acceptance rate. I have guys I sell 25-50 package and they mess with them all the time and end up losing 20% of the queens. Really your not getting a free queen. If you break that package you lose it all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts