Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so Im going to pick up some packages this week to replace my last years deadouts. I have drawn comb and honey from the hives that did not make it through the winter, how should I arrange the frames in the boxes for package install? I plan on starting them in single deeps till they start to grow. so should I put honey on the outside with drawn empty frames in the middle? should I also give them a empty frame or two to build? Also how many frames of honey per single deep should I put in? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas!

·
Registered
406 Posts
so should I put honey on the outside with drawn empty frames in the middle?
Yes.
should I also give them a empty frame or two to build?
That;s what I did. They are working feverishly to get it drawn. Working bees are happy bees.

Also how many frames of honey per single deep should I put in? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas!
I put one on each end with an empty frame directly on the ends.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
ok so Im going to pick up some packages this week to replace my last years deadouts. I have drawn comb and honey from the hives that did not make it through the winter, how should I arrange the frames in the boxes for package install? I plan on starting them in single deeps till they start to grow. so should I put honey on the outside with drawn empty frames in the middle? should I also give them a empty frame or two to build? Also how many frames of honey per single deep should I put in? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas!
The bees arrange their house in a certain manner therefore you should help them out in that so they don't have problems. Giving the new package drawn comb will increase their ability to multiply quickly. Giving them honey stores will also ensure their ability to thrive. So to help them out if you have the drawn comb to give them, give them only drawn comb frames. Then if you have honey stores in one or two frames, put those frames to the outside edge on both sides. One on each side will be plenty giving them either 6 or 8 frames of drawn comb frames in the middle depending upon what equipment you are using. The queen will get started quicker, brood up faster, and will keep those bees moving with resource gathering. In 24 days from the time you install them, you should be able to put on a second brood chamber and have plenty of bees to cover it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts