Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often have you seen this?

My package had a queen (marked) in the cage, yet upon my first frame inspection (day 10) there was queen with capped brood and no sign of the marked queen I released 3 days prior.:s

·
Registered
109 Posts
That has happened to me as well. I took the view that if there was a laying queen in the hive, it's all good.

How often? Hard to say for sure. Maybe ten to twenty percent of the time as a guess. But, 100% success in getting the colony established with a laying queen.

Cheers,

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tom

The laying queen I have appears to be in good shape and the brood pattern is good. I feel bad about releasing the caged queen. Had I known (didn't look at all the frames at the 7 day point) I could have passed her along to another beekeeper..??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sometimes there is a queen loose in the hive. Sometimes they remove the paint from a marked queen. Both are possibilities.
Thanks Michael

In my case I believe the queen was loose in the package/hive, for I saw capped brood only 3 days after releasing the marked queen.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Packages are sometimes made by going through the brood nest and finding the queen, then shaking the rest of the bees into packages. If the hive has 2 queens, and one of them is not spotted, it ends up in the package.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Only other thing to consider, the Queen you order is a "specific" Italian , Hybrid Russian etc. the bees shook into the package are "whatever" So there is a very strong possibility that the queen in the box by "mistake" is not the flavor you ordered. If you really do not care then carry on.
If you have enough bees to give the cadged queen her own place, then you can still have your Kate and Edith too. :) but if you really wanted Kate then pinch Edith, or do a split with her. Sorry I could not resist, it is a work play on have your Cake and Eat it too, and Queen names..
GG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts