Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to beekeeping, I purchased two packages April 5 and installed them in 10 frame deeps , They have just filled 7 out of 10 frames, two frames are removed for a feeder. I am about to add the second deep for them. I am happy with their progress given we have had a late and cool spring.
My Question is , I live in the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia Canada, a mild climate by Canadian standards, The packages are from New Zealand with new queens, and as I said they seem to be doing well but local produced queens are coming available . Would a person be smart to requeen now with a local queen from genetics that have proven to survive our winters? Or will the Ladies from down under be a good bet to adapt?
Opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I have never had any experience with queens from New Zeland, but, I would not requeen just on the premise that a local queen would be better. That new queen may not be as good, may not be accepted, may not be a good layer, and on and on.

Would be wise to talk to some of the local old timers or commercial beekeepers to get a good answer.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I had New Zealand packages last year and their Queens Re great. I would not give yours the boot.
This year one my new packages went Queenless right after installing. I re Queened with another New Zealand Queen. Last year my local Queens did not produce as wel as the New Zealand ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts