Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up my first two packages tomorrow. The new hives are set up , filled with frames and foundation, The Screened bottom board has a slide in cover. and a feeder replaces two out of the 10 frames. The packages are from New Zealand so they have been packaged for a while. It will probably be near midnight when I get home. Our nightly lows are running about -2 c , 30 F our daytime highs are about 14 c, 60 f.
Should I store the packages in a heated building overnight? If so what's the best time to install them. I head to work at 7am and its still below freezing. I could slip home at lunch time or wait till afternoon, but that's an extra 24 hours in the package? Any other tips ?
Our spring is late but I saw the first cherry blossoms today.
Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Keep them inside for the night and put them is as soon as possible the next day when temps are high. Nothing will happen to them in one night.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree. I would leave them in the box in the garage (cool, dark, and not freezing) until afternoon when it warms up. I would also wrap the hive to keep it warm since they don't have enough bees to really keep the entire inside warm. I might even suggest putting a small heater, like a planting heater mat, under the hive to keep it a little warmer. I'm not familiar with cold weather beekeeping, we only get to 30F a couple days a year.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
definitely mist the screen with water when you get them home and a little later 1:1 syrup. NO SOAKING! Just a mist and you would do best to install them in the following evening before it cools off, but at the end of the day close to sundown.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
It would be pretty hard to mist a cardboard tube which is what "packages" from NZ usually are.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
By golly I bet your right! Never have seen the animal and I made assumptions. How do they get air and a LITTLE drizzle there would serve the same I wager.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I hived packages in similar weather a couple of weeks ago...no wrapping, no heater and they seem to be thriving. I hived them just before sunset. When I checked 3 days later the Queen cages were empty. Packages are on the same railway ties and they seem to know where home is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts