Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to pick up my first two packages tomorrow. The new hives are set up , filled with frames and foundation, The Screened bottom board has a slide in cover. and a feeder replaces two out of the 10 frames. The packages are from New Zealand so they have been packaged for a while. It will probably be near midnight when I get home. Our nightly lows are running about -2 c , 30 F our daytime highs are about 14 c, 60 f.
Should I store the packages in a heated building overnight? If so what's the best time to install them. I head to work at 7am and its still below freezing. I could slip home at lunch time or wait till afternoon, but that's an extra 24 hours in the package? Any other tips ?
Our spring is late but I saw the first cherry blossoms today.
Thanks

·
Registered
370 Posts
I agree. I would leave them in the box in the garage (cool, dark, and not freezing) until afternoon when it warms up. I would also wrap the hive to keep it warm since they don't have enough bees to really keep the entire inside warm. I might even suggest putting a small heater, like a planting heater mat, under the hive to keep it a little warmer. I'm not familiar with cold weather beekeeping, we only get to 30F a couple days a year.

·
Registered
8,676 Posts
definitely mist the screen with water when you get them home and a little later 1:1 syrup. NO SOAKING! Just a mist and you would do best to install them in the following evening before it cools off, but at the end of the day close to sundown.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I hived packages in similar weather a couple of weeks ago...no wrapping, no heater and they seem to be thriving. I hived them just before sunset. When I checked 3 days later the Queen cages were empty. Packages are on the same railway ties and they seem to know where home is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.