Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up here in the Pacific Northwest we get our packages from Northern California at the end of April. I know the specific packages we get through the club have artificially inseminated queens. My question is where and how do the package producers get those virgin queens so early? It seems that when ordering queens, even from the deep South, they aren't available until well past April. Here in the Northwest, regional queens aren't available until June, (weather permitting). Those queens coming in with the packages have to be started somewhere, somehow, in February? How do they pull that off?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Something does not make sense?

1. AI queens in Packages? Who does that? I think either you are misinformed or someone drove you off the tracks on this one.
2. Queens early cells are not the issue. The drone count and mating weather are the hold up. I could raise cells in January if we wanted to. Unfortunately they are only a small part of the fertile queen equation! Depending on the year one might pick queens as early as the last few days of March.
3. Some folks get them out of Hawaii early on,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have misunderstood the answer or not asked the question clearly on the phone call I made inquiring as to whether the package queens were AI or not. The person on the phone did say they were AI. Now, if it is pretty unlikely that is the case, I have no problem letting the topic go. The last thing I am going to do is start a "brouhaha" on the forum by mentioning apiaries and "I think he said, I think she said" stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts