Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday, on one of my hives containing package bees/queen that was built using mostly foundation, I saw that there was solid brood on the frames whose wax was built.

Yet, I saw the beginning of supercedure cells. And the queen was as happy as anything as she walked across the frames.

I have always read that the bees know what they are doing, but do they.

I have decided to watch this hive to find out what happens to the original package queen. Has anyone ever rescued a so called "failing queen" to find it successful in another hive.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would not be concerned if the cell is just a cup. I find cups all the time and it seems to be as natural to the bees as making honey.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I 2nd Yule, I even had a them build a cell and were 1/8th of an inch from capping it, only to find them tearing it down the next day and dragging the rather large larvae out!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got some good advice here a week ago about this. My package bees formed a supercedure cell right out of the box within 3 days. I was told not to worry unless it was capped. So after one week it was still there uncapped and after 10 days it just disappeared. After 18 days the queen has 2 full frames of capped brood and all is looking well. The bees know best, so it seems.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I have always read that the bees know what they are doing, but do they.

Package bees don't know what they are doing, because packages don't occur naturally.

It takes 3 weeks from egg to baby bee emerging. During that time, no baby bees are emerging. The bees often blame the queen for this delay. Add in a few days for the package to release the queen. Don't forget you started them mainly on foundation. Even once the queen starts laying, she will quickly fill up the limited amount of drawn comb. The bees just know she isn't laying very many eggs, which seems like a problem with the queen again.

It should be no surprise your bees are trying to supercede the queen. She may be a great queen, but the bees are blaming her for the problems you caused. Giving the package bees a frame of brood when you hive them will lessen the chance of the bees superceding the queen.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I had 1 package that made 1 cup, and had a nice laying queen. I destroyed the cup and put the frame back in the box. 6 days later the cup was back up and I had 5 full frames of worker brood capped. I took the frame with the cup and put it in a hive with no brood. THe original hive has not built another queen cell, and the queenless hive built another queen cell, along with the cup. Both hives now seem happy and so am I.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts