Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I installed a new package a couple weeks ago. I gave them 4 frames fully drawn in the center followed by partially drawn to foundation on the outside two. Upon my first inspection I noticed everything was looking good, eggs larvae and capped brood. Have been feeding. I figured best to feed so they could pull the rest of the comb. I looked yesterday, and they had 3 frames of capped brood. The other full frame was full of "sugar nectar". they had finnished drawing the following frame, and some work on the others, but it had no eggs or larvae. I moved the "honey" out and the drawn frame in, It was like she wouldnt cross the "honey" to find drawn frame. Did I do the right thing? Should I stagger the brood with the partially drawn frames? Didnt see her. Thanks for any suggestions. G :scratch:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Keep the honey to the outside feed frames and drawn comb in between the honey and the brood comb.They won't raise more brood than they can take care of.Sounds like they're doing what they need to be doing.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, thats what I figured. I still dont understand them not drawing out the frames. Seems like last year they drew frames like mad on new foundation. I figured I was giving them a good head start. Maybe once the hatch comes they will pick up the pace. Should I keep feeding?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Keep on feeding absolutely.You're right they pick up the pace after the first brood emerge.Again they won't build more than they can cover or take care of.You're thinking and that's great!Sounds like you'll do well.Questions show me someone is thinking I like that!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Slow Drone, Guess I better go give em some syrup, I cut em off since I was stumped. Thanks again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
How is this situation a "Package problem"? Sounds like they are doing fine, just not doing what you want them to do, at the pace you want them to do it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Bluegrass, I see now that it is not a problem. Thats what this forum is for no? I am new and it was different from my past experiences. Perhaps I should have titled the post, " This seems different than my past experience with package Bees. It has me a little concerned but I probably shouldnt be." Better?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The next time the Package bee Antis go off about how many problems people have with packages they will be sending me the lists of threads titled "Package Problems".... Now I have an extra one on a very long list to counter ;)

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How is this situation a "Package problem"? Sounds like they are doing fine, just not doing what you want them to do, at the pace you want them to do it.
Queenless, all frames filled with honey. saw a hatched queen cell, going to reduce them to a nuc and watch them, maybe she was out on her mating flight. About 5 good frames of bees. I guess I should give them 2-3 of the honey and make them draw comb for her assuming she comes back bred. Any Suggestions?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
Sounds like you fed them until they swarmed. This is a common occurrence caused by two erroneous ideas:

1) they will stop taking syrup when there is nectar available.
2) feeding can't hurt.

When you feed while they have nectar available you bypass many of the checks and balances of the hive. Instead of receiver bees controlling the amount of nectar coming in, you bypass this feedback mechanism with syrup in the hive. So they keep storing it until the queen has no where to lay and swarming is stimulated.

Maybe it's time to leave them alone for a while...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts