Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When hiving (my first) package, when should I start feeding pollen/supplement? I'll have syrup on in a miller hivetop from get-go, but since the pollen as I understand it is for brood rearing, when'll they have comb enough for her highness to start laying and thus need feed?

See also next, related post...

·
Registered
307 Posts
>> when'll they have comb enough for her highness to start laying and thus need feed?

My prediction is . . . before the queen gets released.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
By the time you are hiving packages there will be real pollen available. They probably won't use any substitute anyway, if you DID give it to them.

I would feed them syrup from day one. I wouldn't bother with the pollen. I was feeding REAL pollen and my bees were tearing it up in February. They won't hardly touch it now that there is FRESH pollen on the trees.

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So feeding pollen's more for pre-bloom buildup in late winter? Would one use it late-season, say to promote health in winter brood, or do you just check to see how much they've laid aside?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ben Brewcat;
I always over winter my hives with a pollen pattie on top of bee cluster to promote winter brood.

The Hive and the Honeybee Chapter 6, starting on page 197 is essential reading.

Terry

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
I haven't done as Antero has, but the hives with more pollen stored usually seem to come into spring better, so it makes sense. But my bees seem to waste a lot of pollen when I give them patties. When they want it, they will take anything you give them but when they aren't interested they haul it out with the trash. Maybe I'll try a pollen pattie overwinter sometime. I've only done them in the late winter.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I normally see hives in my area start raising winter bees approx. end of Sept. into Oct. I started giving them a one pound protein pollen pattie during this time to make sure that I go into the winter with a good cluster of winter bees. Just seems to give them an added boast at this time of year.
Frank Wyatt
WG Bee

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Last year I was putting swarms on a frame of brood from a donor hive along with a Bee-Pro pattie, and a miller feeder of 1-1 syrup. They would fill two mediums of PC with bees in nothing flat. Those early swarms actully gave me some surplus honey.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts