Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good sized surviving hive that lost its queen and has laying workers. Would it work to put a new package above this hive with a Snelgrove board between and in a few weeks, combine the hives?

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,124 Posts
That would work as long as the package had several stages of brood when you decided to combine them, preferable with newspaper. It's open brood, along with the pheromone of a laying queen, that keep workers from laying. As such, a nuc would work much better and much faster for your needs if available to you.

I also typically prefer to shake out a laying worker colony. All the bees are old enough they usually know where home is. As they fly back to the originally colony that now has brood/laying queen they integrate quite well into the colony without all the leftover drone and drone comb you're left with in a combine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Mike - if I give the package a couple of weeks on top of the drone hive with the snelgrove board, would that be enough time, once laying is underway, to then safely do the shake out? I don't have a nuc or resources to create one, unfortunately.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,124 Posts
Once you can confirm you have larvae in the package portion then you should be good to combine.

·
Super Moderator
Santa Cruz, CA
1,124 Posts
I typically just leave them out overnight for the drone larvae to die, then give it back to the bees you clean up. They can repair the comb beech to normal with little effort.

I mainly don't want it in the combined for the pheromones a laying worker hive may have. I wasn't it to smell like a healthy laying queen give, not a hopeless drone layer hive, when I combine or shake them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts