Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a nuc a few weeks ago, it won't be ready for pickup untill the middle of may and most people say it would be best to start with two hives. So I found someone that pretty close to selling the packages. I talked to them and they said they are from georgia. Is that normal, the bees being shippied here then picked up by me will they be okay. How long can the bees be in a package?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,067 Posts
Lots of package bees are produced in Georgia and shipped around the country.

The best way to ship packages is to load a group of packages together on a truck/trailer and drive direct to the destination - perhaps making a few stops along the way to offload some of those packages. An less desirable alternative IMO is to entrust the bees to a carrier like UPS or USPS.

With a can of syrup in the package box, I expect that package bees can survive for at least a week. Of course, they should be hived as soon as practical.

My only personal experience transporting package bees was driving two packages about 60 miles from Knoxville where they were raised.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you give me the contact info for the local supplier? Thanks and good luck and hopefully favorable weather.
Grahams bee works in morgantown
They are open Wednesday through Saturday
(812)597-2000
They also have a wedsite if you google them you have to use paypal there credit card isn't working but I called them then sent a check.

I also seen someone on craigslist they are in roanoke in. They have packages also.

Grahams bee works also have nucs and local queens

·
Registered
685 Posts
Yes, professional mass shipping (like FedEx, UPS, etc) have been known to kill packaged bees, sometimes at alarming rates (last year was particularly bad, hundreds of packages were lost). Whenever possible you should pick up your bees in person.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I ordered a nuc a few weeks ago, it won't be ready for pickup untill the middle of may and most people say it would be best to start with two hives. So I found someone that pretty close to selling the packages. I talked to them and they said they are from georgia. Is that normal, the bees being shippied here then picked up by me will they be okay. How long can the bees be in a package?
Thanks
Being from GA is completely normal... about 500000 package come out of GA every year, another 300000 come out of CA, and a handful from a handful of other States.

I have kept bees alive in packages for 14 days from the time they were packed until hived... that isn't the ideal thing to do, but it can be done.

Likely your supplier is picking the bees up in GA themselves or they hired somebody to do it and the bees will be in the pack for no more then a day.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The packages I get come from New Zealand. Likely hard on the bees as they have been through the New Zealand summer and then when heading into fall find themselves in our spring...warm in New Zealand to cold here. Somehow they manage.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,103 Posts
>How long can the bees be in a package?

If they are kept at reasonable temperatures and they don't run out of food, they can be kept in a packge for weeks. Not a great idea, but they can survive. If they are overheated they can die in minutes. If they are tipped over and drowned they can die in minutes. If they freeze (it would have to be really cold or they run out of food), they can die in hours.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow all these Indiana Beeks. I do have an extra package that I am picking up April 5. PSFRED is getting them from Kelly's and I do not need two. I was going to throw it in a nuc with drawn comb, keep it a month and then throw it on CL.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I will know more in April, I will let you know if we do. I have a few people that may want more, I have a waiting list going now and your number 4. We are looking at May 17-18 for pick up, I will call everyone around the 1st of May to remind them. Pat

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can also sprinkle sugar water (make your own) on the exterior of the cage for the honeybees to get some addition nourishment if you think there's some concern to eliminate any stress to the package. When I use to install a new package, as I will in May, I sprinkle the outside of the screen and this somewhat soothes the bees. Then I'll put this large jar of homemade sugar water on the inner cover (inside an empty super) for the bees to supplement their needs depending on the weather as they acclimate to the new location, the super & bottle would be removed about a week-or-two later.

Maybe this has already been mentioned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts