Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a package into a hive the bees disappeared from last year. All frames are fully drawn out. Should I install into one deep box, or use two boxes right away? If two are used, should I put a super on right away as well? Thanks !!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Installing a package into a hive the bees disappeared from last year. All frames are fully drawn out. Should I install into one deep box, or use two boxes right away? If two are used, should I put a super on right away as well? Thanks !!
If it is a 3lb package I would go for one deep to start with. Since all frames are drawn out it won't talk too long for them to get things going. Once they start raising brood along with storing pollen & honey, keep an eye on frame usage. Just like any other box I add a deep when 70% to 80% of frames are used. Main thing you want is to help them get their numbers built up. It's going to take up to four weeks for newly raised brood to emerge from cells, depending on how fast the queen starts laying eggs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same question this morning. So now the question is this - Should I give the one box any frames that are not drawn out so they have a place to put wax, or is the hive better served having all drawn comb and the bees out foraging, or whatever it is that they do? I'm leaning toward a frame or two that they will have to work on, coupled with a feeder w/syrup.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I would not worry about a place to put wax. Just make sure there are some empty drawn combs if you have some so the queen has a place to lay. If you have capped honey I would NOT feed them. If you do they will clog the brood nest so the queen has no where to lay and then they will swarm...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts