Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed packages using the "bump and thump" method, but if I were to simply invert the package, perhaps directly over where I install the queen, will the package bees calmly exit in time?

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
The "bump and dump" method is the fastest, especially if you are doing more than just a few packages. You can attach the queen cage to a frame and then invert the package over the hive body and place an empty deep over it and allow the bees to walk on down over the next day or two. May still have to shake a few out though. In the end, shaking 'em out is easiest, especially if you are installing on undrawn foundation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have installed packages using the "bump and thump" method, but if I were to simply invert the package, perhaps directly over where I install the queen, will the package bees calmly exit in time?
Yes. I do this with my packages. Very few bees end up in the air, and it's overall a much more pleasant experience for me.

I pull the queen cage and insert it between two frames in a deep box. (Side note: I do have drawn comb.) Then I pull the feeder from the package, lay the package on top of the deep -- but slightly away from the queen -- and cover that with an empty medium, inner cover, and outer cover. A day later I remove the package and empty medium. The bees should nearly all be in the hive at this point (and I can check the queen's progress as well). If I still have some stragglers in the package, I just lay it in front of the hive and let nasanov's take care of them finding their new home.

If you're careful and prepared, you can install your packages without suiting up, since you'll have practically no bees flying, and none super-agitated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts