Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have full deeps with fully drawn comb and stores waiting to put some package into. My question is this, how long will it be before I can begin to split these packages? I know there may be several things that factor into into this question (weather, queen production, flow. Ect.). But I was just wondering how long some of you fellas (and gals) think I would have to wait until the hives were strong enough to split and what signs should I be looking for (how many bees per box, how much brood ect.)? Any thought will be much appriciated!

·
Registered
629 Posts
My first year I started with 5 frame nucs that had brood on them when I got them. They both filled out full deeps plus most of a second deep with honey. I fed them until they had both deeps full to make it through winter.

The second year I went to add new queens to them. Being new I really didn't pinch the old queens, probably a few unlucky drones. They swarmed 3 times and I caught 2 of the swarms. So now I had 4 pretty small hives that I had to feed to get stores for the winter. Still no honey for me.

This year I may split one of the 4 hives to increase my hive count and keep the other 3 for honey production.

I won't give you any advice on what to do. I'd just say it takes longer for the bees to do things than you may think.

Good Luck.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I like strong splits so that would be two ten frame deeps or equivalent (four eight frame mediums) of bees, comb, honey etc. and enough time for the split to build up before winter (No later than July probably). It is doubtful they will reach that this year, but in a booming flow with a booming queen they might. They might not reach that until year three, but the 2nd year is the most likely that they will reach that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts