Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I've seen many different sizes of package cages so you would have to call who you are getting them from to know for sure. No matter what size it is it shouldn't be wider(narrowest measurement) than 6". You could place a empty super shell on top of the hive you are starting them in and place the cage inside of that on it's side. Which ever way you do it you still need to shake some bees out onto the queen cage so they can keep her warm if it is cool in you area.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Packages vary by maker. If you take the syrup out it might fit on its side. When you leave them for the two weeks to settle in and accept the queen they will build brace comb in the package and the queen might even lay in the package.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
The one I saved is: 16" X 8-1/2" X 6-1/4". If it was laid on its side, the opening would not face up. You would probably have to remove two more frames. Putting an empty super shell on top would work.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The opening does not have to face up for the bees to exit. It should be checked after a day and the rest of the bees could be tapped out then remove the cage.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've got bees from 3 different places and used this method. If the package is too tall (mine weren't), just put an empty super on. I put one on anyway because I put a boardman type feeder on top of frames so they can feed without being robbed. You take the package out the next day. If there are any bees still in it, just sit it in front of the hive and they will go into the hive.
It's easy and no stress on me or the bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts