Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
brought home three pound packages yesterday, they told me they put them together the day before and to wait at least one more day to hive them. the wheather today is in the low 50's and windy, i'm not sure what i should do. thanks for any answers.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
What is your weather forecast for tomorrow? And when they made up the package, did they put the syrup feeder can in? Most packages are in transit two days, and another day before installation, so you should be ok. If you're concerned about them, spray some sugar syrup on them as additional feed. Keep them out of direct sunlight, in a warm but not hot location. Generally if you're comfortable, they are.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Our weather is almost the same as yours. We just installed a package from noble saturday.
I like putting them in in the cloudy/rainy weather, they spend more time in the hive.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
The sooner you get them in and get a feeder on them, the sooner they can start drawing frames. If you are worried about bees flying, put the empty deep on the bottom, with opened package a feeder inside and deep with frames on top. Put a shim frame on top and lay the queen cage across the top bars of the frames. Add inner and outer covers and come back in a couple of days to remove empty package and check on queen. Then you can put the empty deep and feeder on top of the inner cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts