Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am getting 100 NZ Packages very very soon and I am curious what is done about the queens that come in the cages that don't have candy ends ? I have seen small black plastic plugs with candy in them to push into the cork end for release . I have only ever had cages with the candy in them. Since I don't have any amount of granulated honey to smear in the cork hole, like suggested in an installation video , what do you all think I should do ?

Ben

·
Banned
648 Posts
If the queen cage is in the package already then I flip open then tab on the queen cage and set the cage in the hive and close it up.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
As Brian said a marshmallow will work as candy. However the queen has already been in the package with the bees for a while. I set them up in the hives and give the bees a few hours to settle down, watch the activity around the queen cage for aggressive behavior, then release the queen if I see none.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
> I am curious what is done about the queens that come in the cages that don't have candy ends ?

I haven't seen a candy cage in a package in a decade and a half. They all come in California cages or JZBZ cages. I direct release them.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I would think that any creamed honey that I've seen would just run out when at the temperature of a cluster. What I've done is take some powdered sugar and put it in a plate. Make a dam (like mashed potatoes) and add honey in the middle. Mix. Keep adding honey until you get a good consistency to mold small pieces and it isn't sticky anymore. Take the block with you and break off small pieces, mold and put it in the cage holes. It just takes a few minutes to make.

If you make too much, it's actually kind of tasty. You can also feed it to the bees.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Ben, I think Mr. Bush already gave you the answer to your question. In case you missed it, if the queen comes in a cage that is already in with the package then you will direct release her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts