Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Wednesday, I installed 10 packages by simply putting the package box inside the deep with five frames. Last year, I shook them out and the hives at the very end got most of the bees.

On Saturday, I found that in 8 of the 10 packages, the bees willingly left their container and went to the frames. However one of my hives, Almost 1/3 of the bees remained in the box, leaving me wondering if my queen or another queen was also in the package box.

However in my one end hive, most of those package bees absconded and joined forces in the hive next door, Their poor queen was trapped as a bee from the package died inside the entrance of the queen cage. I don't know if her phernomes were not up to par. I then put her into another queenless nuc that I created 24 hours ago. I am hoping for the best.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
try misting your packages with sugar water before you dump 'em out and install in the late evening/dusk. this will help with drifting. good luck,mike

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't dump the bees, I just let them crawl out of the package box. It was in the morning, when I put them into the hive -- There was no flying of bees, so there was no drift. These bees actually left the one hive by flying out themselves and combined their forces with another. My thoughts are that their queen didn't have enough of a phernome to keep them as my other package queens did.

·
Registered
218 Posts
My end packaged hive moved into the hive next to them as well. When I went in the hive that moved discovered the queen was dead in her cage no reason why and they never started eating the candy. I do have one heck of a strong hive next door though. All the others did fine.

Still down a hive though. Not thrilled about that. Guess I will look for a nuc close by.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
There was no flying of bees, so there was no drift. These bees actually left the one hive by flying out themselves and combined their forces with another.

That is known as drift if they end up in another hive.

I was recently in a yard that was started as packages this year. Upon inspection, the hives simply didn't appear to be building up very fast...except for one hive. That one hive had tons of bees and had almost filled two supers of honey.

It was hot when the packages were installed, so the bees were active. It almost makes you wonder if the strong hive had a super queen which attracted many of the other bees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.