Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received an email from Kelleys in Kentucky informing me that the packages I purchased in January and scheduled to pickup April 26 would not be available until the end of May. Has anyone else had this happen this spring. I'm very disappointed especially since they've had my money for four months and still no product. :s

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Join the club. The worst part is the poor communication that some do.
David

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
It happens. These are live critters subject to the vagaries of Mother Nature and a market that has been totally upended in the last two or three years.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Wont happen to you next year cause you will be grafting and overwinter your own nucs and not be a the mercy of someone elses schedule and business practices.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I just saw that my bee package was delayed once again, this time to May 13-14. The packages are coming from Georgia I believe. I'm not complaining because last year my package was also delayed and I felt they were all the stronger for it. I hope the same for this year. Plus, dandelions will definitely be out by mid May, less bad weather fears.

Does anyone know why the southern packages are delayed? Is it rain?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Better Bee takes deliveries from two apiaries in Georgia. They told me last week mid to late May as well. Just eager to get going...

·
Registered
825 Posts
I just saw that my bee package was delayed once again, this time to May 13-14. The packages are coming from Georgia I believe. I'm not complaining because last year my package was also delayed and I felt they were all the stronger for it. I hope the same for this year. Plus, dandelions will definitely be out by mid May, less bad weather fears.

Does anyone know why the southern packages are delayed? Is it rain?
Ummmm....It was below freezing in Atlanta as recently as last week....I would guess maybe weather related??? :scratch: This winter has kicked the snot out of just about all Apiaries... I give them all credit for managing to get enough hives through the brutal winter to even fill their orders, even if a bit delayed. JMO!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Hey Bees In Miami, nice to see you here again! Bait boxes out?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Being a beekeeper I think you should learn to keep your bee's alive over winter and how to make your own queens if you learn to do that you'll be much more happy come spring. Year 3 bee sustainable:D
I hope to never buy bees again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We sell a limited number of nucs every year and try to tell everyone that the middle of May is typically when they will be ready. This year, we are having to really work to get them out by the middle to end of May. Nothing like a nontypical freeze of 18-20 degrees when it's been 70 to wreak havoc on new queen cells in a finisher hive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts