Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started my first 2 new hives on Thursday 4/10, That went well or as good as I thought it could. Friday it was cold and rainy, one hive quiet all day the other had some outside activity but not much. today both hives were just crazy with activity it looked like mad chaos during the day then this evening things looked normal and there were bees bringing pollen into both hives, that surprised me. what are they doing with the pollen now? the frames in the hives have just wax foundation, starting new so don't think they are storing it yet. any ideas? also tomorrow is day 3 and I want to check if the queen is out of her cage, when is it best to do that? in the morning or afternoon? its to be in the mid 70's temp wise... Thanks for your help... Bill

·
Registered
298 Posts
Sounds like they are packing it away for future brood. They can make comb pretty fast in the right conditions.
The best time to check your hive is on a sunny day when most of the foragers are out of the hive.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
It doesn't take new bees long to build out some comb on foundation, the bees will start storing nectar and pollen and the queen will start laying in cells that are only built out half way. I once came upon a swarm of bees while I was away from home, and the only thing I could find to put them in was a cardboard box. By the time I got home, about a 45 minute trip, they already had a 2" x 3" comb built off the inside of the lid, so they can do it real quick if they want to.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Isn't it cool! I installed my packages Saturday evening, and saw them bringing in pollen on Monday! I will be checking them Wednesday noon to early afternoon, to refill feeder, and check that Queens got out of packages.

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Bill take a long look at the way the bees are reacting with the caged queen. I don't smoke packages and look to see if the workers are trying to feed the bees and queen in the cage. If they are biting feet or hunched over trying to sting, it is not time for the queen to be released. Fill feeder. If they look like they are all friends, I pull three outside frames on one side and open the cage right down on the bottom of the box so she can run under the frames and not fly off into the bright blue sky. replace frames and go away for a week. If you are hesitant to release her, punch a hole with a sharp toothpick screwed into the candy all the way thru so the bees will eat it away faster. Wish I had pollen coming in.

If in doubt leave her for a fe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments everyone. I checked the queen cage and she already was released via the candy hole. They are building comb nicely and seen pollen and a clear liquid stored in the comb. the frame feeders only had about a inch left in them so I refilled them and closed everything up. I looked at only 2 frames in each hive to spot the queen with no luck, didn't spend much time looking either,, wanted to be in and out quick.. tomorrow 4/16 I plan to check the feeders again. since its going to be a high of 46' I don't plan on exposing the frames just the frame feeder and refill it and get out to keep them as undisturbed as possible. then when it warms up a bit possibly sat when I check the feeders again ill look at some frames and hopefully see that the queen is doing her job.. Also temps to get down to 21' tonight, anything special I need to do? one hive has a solid bottom board the other has a screened bottom board. should I slide the mite checker board in to keep some of the breeze down?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got and installed my packages on Friday. Monday queens released. Looked at the hives on Wednesday and the workers were out foraging with a lot of activity. Yes, they are busy as bees all ready! Just resisting the urge to open up one of the hives and leaving them be for a few weeks. Going out today to refresh their sugar solution jars.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I installed my packages on the 14th (58 degrees.) We had over an inch of snow the next day that lasted until it melted on the 17th. This picture was taken by me on the 18th!
Such a good feeling!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts