1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
hmmm, I wear the same swarm suit over here on the east coast :D

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
hrm...i can't think of a good reason not to remove a few frames before shaking in the package.

what is shown is shaking them onto the top bars...i find it much better to shake them INTO the hive interior and then replace the frames.

deknow

·
Registered
712 Posts
3rd pic shows transfering from nuc to hive and there are 3 green plastic drone frames in the hive. Why?

Johnny

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The couple with the green frames insisted on taking them home that way. They assured me they had the medium super at home and would transfer them as soon as possible. They will get a great bunch of drones with so many frames but a poor hive for anything other than queen mating. For background, 9 cases of Pierco foundation came in the day prior and it was gone before that family got to the table. That is how many hives we made the building class last month. There are many ways to hive package bees that were demonstrated at the workshop. Notice one picture is of the package cage just left in the brood super. The second option discussed at the workshop was removing 3 or 4 frames and dumping the bees. All the options are presented. Based on beekeeping since 1969 and the Florida Master Beekeeper program, there are many individual preferences for every beekeeper. Making 24 splits and 2 package bees in half a day with the greatest chance of success, this was the decision of the day. They wanted to take these home quickly. I have heard from most of the new beekeepers and most are doing well, several extremely well. One queen died in the cage. Not bad for 26 hives in one day. We will be extracting from all these new hives in a few months.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I picked up seven more hives and a battery of queens to make splits for those that missed them last workshop. I did not know David Miksa has Buckfast bees off European stock. These are light colored and gentle. I really want some of those Buckfast girls.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you, there are a lot of almost beekeepers waiting to populate the hives they made this month. I made a couple splits Saturday just because there were capped swarm cells. If the hives want to reproduce, I will help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
AmericasBeekeeper I must say yesterdays class(4/30/11)was off the charts.You and your volunteers did a fantastic job yesterday,which made for a very exciting day for all of the new beeks.I'm sure I can speak for all your students,that we all really appreciate all the hard work and dedication that went into making all this happen.

Thanks so much!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts