Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my package bees today and discovered they feeder can had fallen into the shipping cage. Crushing some of the bees. Even though the bees were shipped to me on Saturday, most were still alive. Very hungry but alive.

But I learned that a feeder can that has fallen into the cage can create problems. Removing the queen was easy because i didn't need to remove the can to get to her. But when you try to dump the bees into the hive or shake the cage to get them out, the can flying around just really ticks them off! And it blocks most of the entrance and keeps the bees from getting out.

To solve this problem, I finally decided to position the hole from the cage over the hole of the inner cover and put 2 medium supers over it and install the telescopic cover for about an hour. This allowed all but about 2 dozen bees time to make there way to the hive. Then I removed the 2 supers and the cage and closed up the hive.

Little buggers have already gone through 1/4 pint of sugar water in about 2 hours.

Lesson here is "Don't shake the package if the can falls to the bottom!"

BTW, got stung twice. Little rascal got under the screen on my head cover.

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't shake them in at all, I rubberband the queen cage to a frame and lay the box on its side and put on an empty super, close it up and a few hours later I remove the super and empty box after all the live bees move to the queen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't shake them in at all, I rubberband the queen cage to a frame and lay the box on its side and put on an empty super, close it up and a few hours later I remove the super and empty box after all the live bees move to the queen.
This, too, is how I installed my packages. Seemed less stressful, and my girls were very calm.

bp

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>Just rip the screen off the side and dump them in. You can catch the can during the process.

That's what I would do. The screen can either be removed by pulling the slats the hold it or by cutting the screen.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nearly 24 hours later, they are finally getting settled in. Earlier today they were still buzzing about and restless.
2014-04-17 13.38.46.jpg

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Be careful with those feeders. They are notorious for seeping just a little syrup around the base and the top, this will start robbing. I have quite a few of them and finally just stopped using them as entrance feeders. If I use them now I will set them on top of the inner cover and put an empty deep on and then the lid. If you see a lot of unusual bee activity around your hive get that feeder off and reduce your entrance down to just one bee wide.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually removed the front feeder today. There were a lot of the bees that would just hang around the feeder. It's been raining off and one the last couple of days and when it rained they would dash back into the hive. When it stopped they would come back out and just hang around the outside of the feeder. Since I had to release the queen today, I decided to move the feeder to the top and use a empty super to cover it and close off the opening on to about 3/8". I also made another feeder from a mason jar just in case the modified front feeder doesn't work. I had a drowning issue, so I am hoping my modification will stop this. Link to my Photo shows my modification to the feeder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iz02fc015vqui4h/2014-04-17%2015.06.32.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts