Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next Saturday I will be getting 2 packages of Buckfast coming from Georgia. The weather for next weekend looks like it will be in the low 50s for a high, with a slight chance of rain/snow for the next day or two. Anything I should keep in mind when installing a package in these weather conditions? I will be feeding right away with 2:1 syrup, and will be keeping my fingers crossed that lows of 30s won't be to rough on the bees....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Howdy A.A. I'm your neighbor to the north :)
I installed 12 packages of buckfast italian cross bees from Georgia 2 weeks ago and they are doing fine, even though we went through some dicey sub freezing temps....My partner (a senior beek) taught me to hand rub some syrup into 2 single sides of frames for them to start out their new home on...I am also using quart jar second box feeders for syrup. I had gallon buckets there first but they were leaking and I changed over to the old quart jars stuffed into holes in styrofoam boards placed on inner-covers in the second box.......I had some queen problems though and am glad I had other hives to compare to .....Today we have the first natural pollen comming in and your area probably has more than here,,,,anyway good luck and enjoy :)

==McBee7==

·
Registered
489 Posts
I picked up my bees during a cold snap here in Ohio. Was in low to mid 50's the day I installed them. Got below freezing the following two nights. An experience beek told me I should have sprayed them with sugar water and kept them in the house until it had warmed up.
As it was, he had me wrap both hives with heavy blankets for both nights it got below freezing.
Now I have two active hives. I don't know if it was by luck or his suggestions, but it didn't hurt.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I picked up three packages first weekend in April. While driving to my yard, it snowed on me. I watched two different salt trucks go by, the other direction. It was not heavy snow, and it did not last long, but the temp was in the lower 30's with a strong wind and associated chill. Time is not my friend and i struggle to keep my bees on family land hours away. That was my weekend to install my packages so the choice was to forget bees until end of May or that weekend. I chose that weekend. It was cold. Windy. Cloudy. Generally an awful time to install packages. Weather after that was not much better, temp dropped into mid 20s for several days. I direct released the queen an hour or so after I shook the bees in. It seems I did just about everything "wrong". One thing I had in my favor was 2 frames per hive of leftover honey. My check this past weekend was great. All hives made it, queens were laying at least some.

Did I just get lucky or are the bees much stronger than one may think? I suspect temps in the 50s with lower 30s for a few days wont do much harm at all. I might say if you have any honey frames you are saving, this might be the time to use them. Based on my experience, you should be fine. I wouldnt worry. good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts