Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about the rest of you folks, but my general sense of things is that the producers of packages and queens really got hit hard with demand this spring. I know I just started this year and have been lurking on the boards learning for a couple of years before getting started. I ordered really early for the two packages I did get (well pleased btw). I was going to get a third, but it seems like you really have to jump through hoops, so I'm going to try a split soon. Any sense from the old timers and the new beeks about the ease of starting and demand this year?

·
Registered
361 Posts
order early. it's like this every year.

i was supposed to get some packages off a guy driving a truck load north from georgia. he emailed me and said he's not coming through town now. i emailed him back and offered to drive 3hrs to meet him where he was gonna pass through but evidentally he just did not have time for me. so now i have no packages to install and i have hives lined up with drawn comb in them waiting for bees and it seems to be too late to order replacements.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I called a company in Cali that still had some packages left for $85...reasonable enough until you figure in shipping...about $100...just for shipping. So if you got it to burn, you could call them.

·
Registered
216 Posts

so now i have no packages to install and i have hives lined up with drawn comb in them waiting for bees and it seems to be too late to order replacements.
It's not to late, just have to wait until things die down a little and you should be able to get some shipped in as long as it dosen't get to hot.

Camp

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The major problem was/is that queen production was late and spotty due to wet weather this year. Things are getting back to normal these last two weeks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called a company in Cali that still had some packages left for $85...reasonable enough until you figure in shipping...about $100...just for shipping. So if you got it to burn, you could call them.
You can still order from Long Creek Apiaries for early June delivery.

http://www.longcreekapiaries.com/
I'm pretty certain that $100 shipping and June delivery doesn't quite fit into my Utopian dreams of a package for the here and now. Who knows.. maybe both packages will die off, my anticipated split will fail and I'll languish in a fit of depression for a couple of months and then break down and pay $200 shipping for a package that will arrive in September and then experience real heartbreak in the fall. :cry:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
:scratch: you might want to do some research here on the forum re: Long Creek Apiaries.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I witnessed the bad California queen breeding weather first hand. I had to sit in a hotel room for 4 days waiting for the rain to quit. Ray Olivarez said at the time "this is the worst weather for bees that we have seen in 15 years."

Demand is definitely up too. Lots of losses this year!

JoeMcc

·
Registered
508 Posts

i was supposed to get some packages off a guy driving a truck load north from georgia. he emailed me and said he's not coming through town now. i emailed him back and offered to drive 3hrs to meet him where he was gonna pass through but evidentally he just did not have time for me.
Similar situation here. 2 separate arrangements fell through. I was preparing to go to another province for bees (8 hour round trip), but was able to find some in the region (3 hour round trip). I consider myself lucky.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I got 2 packages from Shamrock S [Shad Sullivan] California queens and Australian workers. These 2 queens are awesome [VSH/SMR mated to Russian drones]. They took off like gangbusters and no indication of superscedure. Brood looks great and new workers are doing a great job. Must have been lucky because these queens were delivered April 1.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts