Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 2 first year hives made it through winter. I had sugar on them in the Mountain Camp style but they hardly touched it. I assume because either they didn't want it or didn't need it. But now I have a bunch of this leftover sugar. My question is can I re-use this sugar in the form of syrup? I have it all just in a five gallon bucket when I took the empty supers off and the sugar last week. But would hate to just throw it out. Also do you guys feel feeding a colony this time of year can really help it?
Thanks!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes you can reuse the sugar as a source for liquid feeding and YES feeding prior to local bloom gets the queen laying and whole hive a lot bigger a lot faster.
I feed in mid March and don't expect any dandilion bloom until mid April. By then a hive will consume over a gallon of sugar water and the brood area will be a lot larger than waiting for the first blosoms.
I just disolved my left over hard sugar today and will feed as soon as this rain stops!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Congratulations on getting your hives through winter. That's the stuff to strut about.

Absolutely use it.

If they want it, they'll take it and if there's a problem they'll leave it. My bees ignore the sugar syrup when they can get nectar. I've also seen them empty a three gallon top feeder in a fall weekend and then ignore the refill.

If your concerned, you can mix to two parts sugar one part water syrup, strain and heat to 180 degrees. That will kill anything needing worry and keep for next fall.

I have a feeder full of syrup and drowned yellow jackets waiting for the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts